The Scholar’s Programme
Independent Activities and Challenges
Faculties across Our Lady’s have provided a non-exhaustive list of activities and challenges to engage and support your child in their learning. Please encourage your child to take part in the activities:
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Computing)
- Attend STEM club at school every at lunchtimes with Mrs. Wilson.
- Manchester Science and Industry Museum is definitely worth a visit. Find out more information at: https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/‘
- Dynasties’ is the latest David Attenborough documentary focusing on the stories of animals battling against the odds in the wild. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
- Watching documentaries such as Blue Planet or Hidden Kingdoms to discover more about nature. Many other documentaries are available on iplayer via the link above.
- Recommended Science books:
- Hello, is this planet Earth?: My View from the International Space Station
- The Incredible Unlikeliness of Being: Evolution and the Making of Us
- Wonders of the Solar System
- Contact by Carl Sagan (Fiction)
- Recommended Maths books:
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon
- Solving for M - Jennifer Swendon
- Regularly completing Sudoku, Picture Cross and Logic Puzzles will help sharp minds get even sharper! There are many free apps available at the Apple Store or Google Play Store or you can find them online at: https://sudoku.game/ ; https://www.logic-puzzles.org/
- Teach yourself how to become an expert computer coder using the Scratch and Python beginner’s guides. These guides are available from the school library.