Welcome to Our Lady’s Careers and Guidance Team: Mrs. Cooke, Careers Lead and Mrs. Lowrey, Careers Officer and Attendance Team.
In our roles, we work to support academic attainment and personal growth, providing support as students move through school, facing different transition points such as option choices at year 8 and year 11.
We wish to inspire and enable ALL students to aspire to their chosen career.
To support transition at KS3 to KS4 and on leaving Our Lady’s, we offer a comprehensive careers and information service by ensuring that we promote all pathways that are available to students, including:
- Academic options
- Vocational learning pathways
- Apprenticeship and traineeship routes
To support these important decisions, we engage with various agencies to ensure that students are provided with meaningful and timely information and support which is current and appropriate for their needs.
In addition all students are offered a 1:1 personal advice and guidance session where student and adviser jointly create an action plan to help move that young person to an appropriate post 16 option, providing a stepping stone to university or further quality training and employment.
It is vital that our young people are fully equipped and prepared to make the right choices at the various transition points in their lives.
We have a number of resources and personnel that work together to provide the service.
This service works along-side the curriculum we offer through PSHCCE (Personal, Social, Health, Citizenship, and Careers Education) which seeks to promote:
- Identification of strengths and weaknesses
- Understanding of personal qualities and traits and how they may be applied to various career sectors and jobs
- Opportunities to develop presentation/discussion/team working skills which are deemed invaluable “soft skills” required in the work place
- Identification and understanding of various academic qualifications/levels
- Identification and understanding of education and training routes
- How to prepare quality C.V.s, personal statements and how to prepare for interview.